Setting up Configurations
Getting VPN Service
Read Before You Post
Problems Installing Tunnelblick
If you are unable to install Tunnelblick, here are some things to check:
- Did you download Tunnelblick from the official Downloads page?
- Did you download a version of Tunnelblick that is appropriate for your version of macOS? New versions of macOS use the latest versions of Tunnelblick, but older versions of macOS or OS X require an older version of Tunnelblick from the Deprecated Downloads page.
- Did you verify the download?
- Are you installing from a copy of Tunnelblick that is stored on your startup volume (for example, on your Desktop)?
- If you are installing Tunnelblick inside a virtual machine, are you installing from a copy of Tunnelblick that is stored on the virtual machine's startup volume (for example, on the VM's Desktop)?
If you are unable to install Tunnelblick because it says a VPN is active, try the following:
- Launch /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.
- Click "View", then "All Processes".
- Click on the "Process Name" column to sort the list of processes by name.
- If there is a process named "Tunnelblick", click the "X" to quit it, then click "Force Quit". It may take a few seconds, but the process should disappear from the list.
- For each process named "openvpn", click the "X" to quit the process, then click "Quit". It may take a few seconds, but the process should disappear from the list.
- Try the install again.
If the above are all good and you can't still install, here are some things to try before trying to install again:
- Try restarting your computer before installing. (Sorry, that sounds like the bad old days of Windows, but macOS sometimes gets itself into a situation that only restarting will fix.)
- Try disabling or uninstalling any antivirus or other security software you have. Such software sometimes blocks Tunnelblick's ability to install without any indication that it is doing so.
- Try copying Tunnelblick.app into your Applications folder by dragging it from the installer disk image. Then Control-click the new copy in Applications and click "Open" to start it. Tunnelblick should then ask for a computer administrator's username and password to secure itself.